Thursday 3 July 2014

Review: Innocent Blood (1992, Anne Parillaud, Anthony LaPaglia)

Title: Innocent Blood (1992)
Rating: 18
Cast:
Anne Parillaud ... Marie
David Proval ... Lenny
Robert Loggia ... Sallie (The Shark) Macelli
Summary: Marie has two appetites, sex and blood. Her career as a vampire is going along fine until two problems come up, she is interrupted while feeding on Sal (the shark) Macelli and she begins to develop a relationship with the policeman who has been trying to put Sal away. Sal does not stay dead. (mostly taken from IMDB)

Let me tell you about all the reasons I love this film. There are a few films out there that get under your skin and this is one that grabbed me and never let go. I first saw it on pre-owned VHS that I bought from a video rental place and as soon as it came out on DVD I snapped it up. I have been patiently waiting for them to get round to bringing it out on blu-ray, but I suspect I will be waiting a long time.

The DVD is expensive, but the title is available for rent from Amazon Instant Video in both UK and US stores, so it's probably on things like Netflix etc as well.

So the number one reason I love this film is Marie. She is strong, independent and yet vulnerable at times. She goes for what she wants and yet she has principles even as she has needs. She can go from sweet, innocent smiling girl to seductress to snarling monster in a flash and Anne Parillaud has to be commended for that. The only other film of hers I've seen is Nikita and she was equally as intense, although Innocent Blood has a might lighter side.

Then there are the vampires. They don't have fangs, but I'll forgive them because they have the most wonderful eyes. I can only think the contacts must have been a royal pain because they cover the whole eye. I assume they worked the same way the ones in Forever Knight did where they reflect whatever light it shone on them. The way Marie is so sophisticated until she feeds and then there is blood everywhere is just the right balance. She's disgusted with herself at those times, but she's not angsting the entire film, just self-aware.

When Sallie comes back, his confusion and animalistic needs are brilliant and I won't describe him any further, but I love the evolution of the character.

This film is also funny in places. It's a very dry humour and I love it. The script is inspired. Even the love scene is gently funny before it become downright passionate. It's actually one of the best love scenes I can remember because it shows the evolution of characters and gives major character insight rather than just being two people jumping into bed with each other and bumping their bits.

All the actors are fantastic, the plot is great, the special effects are superb, the script is brilliant and I don't have a bad thing to say about it. I love it.

This is a cops and mobsters movie with vampires and I think it is done wonderfully.



Have you seen any mobster vampire movies? How about cops and vampires? Since I mentioned sex scenes, is there one that you remember (from any genre of film) that really added to the plot rather than just being about the sex?

1 comment:

  1. Huh, I'd never heard of this one before, but seeing the trailer, there are some very familiar faces. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.