Monday 3 November 2014

Review - Insidious (2010)

Title: Insidious
Rating: 15
Cast:
Patrick Wilson ... Josh Lambert
Rose Byrne ... Renai Lambert
Ty Simpkins ... Dalton Lambert
Lin Shaye ... Elise Rainier
Summary:
When Dalton, son of Josh and Renai Lambert falls into a coma that isn't really a coma, after they move into their new house, evil things start to happen around him.

So Insidious, I finally managed to see the whole thing. On the first watch my husband was so jumpy that he couldn't finish it. However, as I discovered he turned off at just the wrong point.

This is a film of two halves.

The first half is really quite spooky and scary. It made me and my husband jump and hide behind cushions and when I watched it a second time with my sister and mother so I could see the end, it did the same to them.

However, I have to say, the second time through the first half was spooky, but not really scary like it was when I didn't know what was coming. It doesn't have lasting scare factor unlike something like Ju-on - The Grudge which gets me every time. I think it's the noises in Ju-on that do it.

So the first half isn't bad and it's worth a watch. The acting is fine, the plot is reasonable and when you don't know what coming it will scare you nicely.

Then we have the second half. It turns out my husband should have kept watching because the second half totally kills any scare in the first half. The main protagonist flips from being the mother to being the father and the explanations come out and it's just, meh. It's over done, it's heavy, it's predictable and it's not frightening at all. I watched my sister go from hiding behind a cushion to wondering when it would end.

There was only one point in the whole second half that made any of us remotely jump.

It needed a twist or a more interesting big bad, but there wasn't anything. The reveal is supposed to be a big shock, but if you didn't see it coming I think you might have been watching a different film. I don't mean the details exactly, but definitely the general gist.

We're supposed to be afraid and we definitely weren't. It went from good old fashioned horror to more of a dark fantasy without the scare factor. I don't think I will be watching it again.

I do have Insidious 2 and I will give it a go, but I'm not holding my breath for a masterpiece.

7 comments:

  1. LOL! You just wanted to see other people jump--that's why you watched it again. ;) Kidding. Glad you liked it.

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was fun watching my sister yell and point at the screen :)

      Delete
  2. I'm laughing at what Crystal wrote above. :-)

    This has been on my "to-be-watched" list, for Patrick Wilson alone (because hubba hubba). There's that famous scene that's certainly made me jump when I saw clips of it! Good to know that it eases up some in the second act, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll agree with you about Patrick Wilson, totally ;) Oh there are lots of scenes that made me jump in the first half and the famous one was where my husband declared he couldn't watch any more on the first viewing ::g::. I wish it hadn't eased up, personally, because I was really enjoying it up to that point. I just found some of the stuff that happened after that silly. Of course it does mean I can sleep without peering at dark corners of the room ;)

      Delete
  3. It's certainly a creepy looking poster! I get freaked out by horror films, so I probably wouldn't watch that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd recommend staying away from this one then - definitely of the jumpy variety in the first half :). I love horror movies and I was hiding behind a cushion until the middle of the film.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.