Monday 21 December 2015

The Grinch - A Christmas Monster in Green - #MonsterMondays 28


Welcome to Christmas week in my blog where all posts will have a holiday theme. For monsters I had to go with Dr Seuss and the Grinch.

The Grinch
A Christmas Monster in Green

Did you know that the name Grinch come from the French word grincheux, which means grumpy? Nope, neither did I, thank you Wikipedia  for that titbit of information :).
The Grinch from How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Directed by Chuck Jones
Wittegen Press
$3.29 | £2.19
Amazon | Other
Now our family were not big on Dr Seuss, Soph and I had The Cat in the Hat and  Green Eggs and Ham, but they weren't great favourites (we were more into traditional fairy tales at that age) and I had never heard of the Grinch until they showed "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", directed by Chuck Jones with Boris Karloff doing the narration, on UK TV one holiday season, and I remember loving it. I can't remember how old I was, but that cartoon has never left me.

I loved the animation and the voice over and the music. Although there have been live action adaptations of Dr Seuss I think his characters and craziness do lend themselves better to animation. I enjoy Jim Carey in many things and his live action version of the Grinch is great, but I still prefer the cartoon :). How about you?
Jim Carey as the Grinch

The Grinch is totally Scrooge, but he goes one further than scrooge, he actually steals Christmas from the Whos of Whoville. How evil, how terrible to steal Christmas!

Wittegen Press
$6.79 | £5.69
Amazon | Other
I also love the fact he is a terrible person, but he still has his dog, Max, even if he does make him be a reindeer.

Of course it's a Christmas story, so it's all about redemption. Well done Whos! And of course it's all about how all the things at Christmas aren't the important part, which I think we all forget from time to time. The holiday season is not about all the presents and all the food, it's about the love and the joy. I hope we all have plenty of those this year.

My must see Christmas movie is A Christmas Carol (all versions ;)), but I do like finding the Grinch on telly as well in all his Scrooge-like glory.

Who is your favourite Christmas monster, the Grinch, Scrooge or an even eviller one (say that when you're been at the Christmas cheer ;))?

4 comments:

  1. Great choice, dear Lady Martha.....
    Happy Holidays to you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Jim Carry's grinch, but always enjoyed the cartoon when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the narrator's voice, Boris Karloff simply has the perfect tone for the story :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.