Wednesday 2 November 2016

#NaNoWriMo - The Awesome Way to Get the Words Down


So who's doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Wittegen Press
FREE
Wattpad
For those wondering what I am talking about - NaNoWriMo is where lots of writers come together and try and write 50K words during the month of November. It's great for motivation because everyone else is feeling the same pain :).

If you are doing NaNo and want to be friends, I'm over here:


As ever I am using NaNo to finish a project I have been meaning to finish all year and haven't had the focus for. For some reason in NaNo I can do that an everything else I'm supposed to do - I can make no excuses for my brain.

I'm finishing up my Harry Potter Fanfic: Defence, Pretence, Offence, which I wrote 50K for last year, taking it up to 100K and never got round to completing, even though I kept wanting to. It's the sequel to my epic Gold Tinted Spectacles :).



Have you had a go at NaNo before? Did you win?

Are you having a go this year? What are you writing?

Do you think you might like to have a go at NaNo?

My tips for making it through are these:

  • Write a little extra in the week if you can because often weekends are full of social events/family time etc.
  • Don't be afraid to write out of order - if you get stuck on one part, jot down the notes you have in your head and then continue the next part of the story, or an entirely different part, as long as it gets your writing.
  • Don't worry about the quality, get the words down and worry about editing in December.
  • If you miss a day, make the word count up as quickly as possible - there is nothing more disheartening than seeing yourself get more and more behind.
  • Tell everyone what you're doing and get them cheering for you - there's nothing like support.
  • Don't burn yourself out too quickly - pace yourself.
  • Give yourself rewards when you make your word count to reinforce the enjoyment.
What tips help you make it through?

2 comments:

  1. Great tips shared there Tasha. Wishing you lots of fun and luck with your NaNo. I'm not participating due to other commitments but am cheering you all on from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for the cheers :) Hope you're having a great week.

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading. I love to hear from people. Please leave your comments below.