So Who's Doing the AtoZChallenge This Year?Just in case there are readers who have no idea what I'm taking about, the AtoZChallenge runs every year during April. It is a challenge for any bloggers who wish to enter. The idea is to make a blog post every day, except Sundays, inspired by the letter of the alphabet that goes with that day, 1st=A, 3rd=B (because 2nd is a Sunday) etc.
The lovely banners/badges were created by Jeremy from Hollywood Nuts. You can find all of them over at the AtoZChallenge blog.
Many blogs have a theme running through all their posts, but some just do individual posts as they go along.
This is my fifth year taking part.
I was having so much trouble coming up with a theme for this year. I just had no clue, but I finally figured it out. I'm not going to tell you not, because there is a theme reveal day on March 20th, so it's a secret until then ;).
Just in case you are interested here are my themes from previous years:
2017 - ???
Reasons to do the challenge:
- We get to meet loads of bloggers also doing the challenge and make friends.
- We have lots of visitors from people who aren't doing the challenge, but are using it to find interesting blogs to read.
- It's good for our discipline having to post every day and makes the rest of the blogging year look like a dream.
- We find loads of blogs to check out we never would have looked at otherwise.
- It's fun!
Reasons to have a theme:
- It gives visitors something to look forward to and come back for if they know what kind of thing we will be posting.
- It helps visitors remember your blog.
- It really helps with deciding what to post every day because we're not just picking something out of the air.
- We get to take part in the theme reveal day, which some people use to decide which blogs to visit first.
Tips on How Not to Go Insane During April:
- Prepare in advance. I cannot stress how much this takes the pain out of the challenge and just makes it fun. I try to have at least half my posts done before April even begins, preferably all of them.
- Make a note of the blogs you visit and their URLs - I use Google sheets. I also note which ones I really want to go back to so I can find them again. With the new format this year and no linked list I think this will really help so you don't lose the blogs you want to revisit. You could just bookmark them in their own folder, but I like to be able to sort things, hence Google sheets :)
- Make a note of all the bloggers who visit you so you can return the favour.
- Have a signature to go with your comments when you visit other blogs so they don't have to search around to visit you back:
Tasha Tasha's Thinkings
or if the blog doesn't allow HTML, just put in the URL
Things I have learned over the years:
- The more people you visit, the more people will visit you - but there will be people who don't bother. Don't take it personally :). Sometimes they might no gel with your blog, or real life may be kicking their behind and stressing about it takes more energy than it is worth ;).
- Don't make your entries too long. There are rules for every day blog posts and rules for AtoZ posts. People often like a lot of meat to every day posts, but during the AtoZ people are trying to visit lots of blogs, so to the point, dynamic posts are the way to go.
- Images always help to keep people entertained and make a post more eye catching.
So who plans to take part this year? Have you thought of a theme?